A huge part of my mission as a person and scientist living with migraine is to advocate. Being an advocate is never something I planned on becoming, but I have seen how misunderstood this disease is and want to contribute to changing the societal narrative.
- Migraine language
- Insurance coverage
- Disability benefits
- NIH funding
- Contacted and worked with Grammarly, the online writing assistant, to get them to change their suggested correction from ‘migraines’ to the proper term, ‘migraine’.
Health Insurance Coverage
- Worked with the Global Healthy Living Foundation and 50 States Network to advocate for the passing of a step therapy health care coverage reform bill in California. To gain public exposure for this critical bill, I wrote an op-ed on step therapy that was featured in The Cost News Group. We were successful and the bill was signed into law in October of 2021.
- Again to bring awareness to the damaging insurance practice of step therapy, I was featured in the Patients Rising podcast to discuss the status of California’s health care reform laws.
- For a discussion on the rising cost of health insurance and the importance of gaining coverage for the newest and most expensive migraine therapies, I was again featured on the Patients Rising Podcast.
- To raise awareness for the realities of living with migraine, I entered the American Headache Society and the American Migraine Foundation’s 6th annual migraine moment short film contest. I was honored to win first place for my video.
- To differentiate between migraine attacks and general headaches, I wrote an article for Patients Rising called, ‘Migraine is NOT a headache – Time to accept the truth’.
- To talk about my experience with intractable/refractory migraine, I was featured on Tia O’Hare’s podcast, Living with an Invisible Injury.
- In February of 2022 I was honored to join the Alliance for Headache Disorders Advocacy and attend the annual Headache on the Hill advocacy event. [More details to come on what was accomplished during this vital advocacy event].